Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Middle School Cartoon

This middle school cartoon fits within the characteristics of This We Believe.  In the section of Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment is says that students and teachers should be engaged in active, purposeful learning.  In this cartoon the teacher is speaking in front of the class and the student is just sitting in his desk.  As teachers, we have to remember in order for students to comprehend material and to enjoy learning, we have to get them involved and engaged in the classroom. Bring the geography of the world inside of the classroom by getting everyone to participate.
Sarah Shewmaker

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, this cartoon kind of reminded me of myself when I first started teaching this last year. :( Like I said earlier, I have a P4 degree and got thrown into teaching 7-12 history. I didn't really have any idea how to make history interesting at first. I had to experiment with different ways of teaching and ask the students what they preferred. It took a lot of trial and error, but it seemed that the students enjoyed history the most when I let them move around the classroom. Whether we were playing review games, having debates, or simply discussing the lesson, the students enjoyed hands on sessions much more!
    Shay Eddings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good cartoon! I agree completely! You have to change up your teaching approaches to get kids involved. If you do the same thing every day they get very bored. I try to do different things in my classroom to get kids motivated. My students enjoy using the smartboard because it is interactive. I also go back and forth between group work, lecture, projects, etc. ~Wendy Marney

    ReplyDelete